03/21/2008: "A Woman's Prerogative"
I came to the decision a couple of nights ago, that I should cancel my upcoming show. It's only 3 months away, painting with oil takes a long time to dry, and I only have 2 pieces started. Plus with the wedding looming and *lots* of work to do in general, I thought it would be too stressful for both me and my honey.
I was going to call the gallery director yesterday and tell her. I kept waiting and waiting to call. The thing is, I really don't want to cancel the show.
Now I have a 3 day weekend so I'm going to paint as much as I can and see how far I can get. Also, as a back-up plan, I have several paintings around the house that never really "fit" into any one particular show theme, that I could spruce up and display if I come up short. I have one painting from a previous show that I really like except for the figure. I'm thinking of repainting that one, painting the figure out and maybe adding a small brush type tree in the foreground. The dog and kit may stay or go, not sure on that yet.
Anyway, having to do 5 or 6 new paintings in 3 months is much more manageable than having to do 10... Some of the pieces won't really "go" together, but I may divide the gallery space and have older (never previously displayed) work in one part, and the brand new work in another part. What do you think, is this a bad idea? Either way, I'm going to hold off on canceling and see what I can do over the long weekend.